We live in the multimedia age--our minds are bombarded with a never-ending onslaught of sights and sounds, all which fill our minds with the ideas they represent. It might be expected that I would be eager to create my own multimedia contributions, but the truth is that, save for a few uses, multimedia is unnecessary for true learning and, in many cases, a distraction and hindrance.
There are reasons why I like to chat with students.
- Students need to become independent workers.
- Students need to develop typing skills.
- Students need help with spelling and punctuation.
- Students need more daily writing exercise.
- Students can think more when they communicate with chat.
- Students can accomplish much more, in the long run, by becoming comfortable with text than with multimedia.
- Students can have a record of our discussions.
- Homeschooling Moms can't afford to be their children's secretaries.
William Michael, Headmaster
Classical Liberal Arts Academy